[Elsdon 364 160 of 244]


< List of Names
as written on the Plan
Various modes of
Spelling the same Names
Authority for those modes of
Situation Descriptive Remarks, or other
General Observations
which may be considered of Interest
Castle Elsdon Castle (Remains of) Revd. John Baillie MA About 6 chains N. A strong old square embattled tower which still
(Remains of) Elsdon Castle (Remains of) Mr. Hindmarsh of Elsdon Church externally and internally retains much of its
Elsdon Castle (Remains of) List of County Voters pristine form, and on its south front are
Elsdon Castle (Remains of) Hodgsons History of Northumberland sculptured the arms of Sir Robert Umfreville [who]
who died in 1436 which says Hodgson is perhaps
a guide to the date of its restoration or erection
To the old building has been added a vestibule
kitchen dining room pantry and other offices
The Rectory and has been used as the Rectory House for many
years now in the occupation of the Rev John Baillie
Rector of Elsdon
Gatecheck Gate Check Mr. Whaley About 5 chains S. W. A small stone building used as a Farm
Gatecheck Mr. Dodd of Elsdon Church House in the occupation of Mr. Davison Farmer
Gatecheck Mr. Davison The gate to the green formerly stood near
this house hence the name
Edw. Gillespie
Sapper Royal Engineers

Abbreviations are underlined like this RE and the expansion may be seen by hovering the cursor over the abbreviation.

An entry outlined like this has a note which may be seen by hovering the cursor over it.

Transcribed by MEM

Return to Elsdon 364 index

«Previous page     Next page»