[Elsdon 364 16 of 244]


Sheet 51 Plan 2 Parish of Elsdon

< List of Names
as written on the Plan
Various modes of
Spelling the same Names
Authority for those modes of
Situation Descriptive Remarks, or other
General Observations
which may be considered of Interest
Birdhopecrag Chapel Birdhopecrag Chapel Revd. James Brown, Birdhopecrag 25 chains West of A commodious and substantial stone
(Presbyterian Birdhopecrag Chapel Mr Ord Hopesley House. building situated at the western extremity
Free) Birdhopecrag Chapel Mr Dodd of the village of Rochester. This Chapel
was built in 1826 by voluntary Contribution
There is a stone on the front of the Chapel with the words Birdhopecrag Scotch Church on it.
This Chapel was connected with the Scotch Presbyterian Church up to the time of
the disruption, at which time it was separated from that church and is now Birdhopecrag
Presbyterian Chapel. The Revd. James Brown, Minister is supported by the Congregation.
School School Mr Brown 14 chains South of A neat stone building situated at
School Mr Coulson Hopesley House. the eastern extremity of the Village of
School Mr Dunn, Scool Master Rochester. This School was endowed provisionally in 1850 with £10 per
annum by Lord Redesdale. There is also
House and garden for the teacher. The School is under government inspection
and no permanent endowment connected with it.
(This School is not endowed) J. D.
James Doherty
Lance Corporal Royal Engineers

Abbreviations are underlined like this RE and the expansion may be seen by hovering the cursor over the abbreviation.

An entry outlined like this has a note which may be seen by hovering the cursor over it.

Transcribed by TH

Return to Elsdon 364 index

«Previous page     Next page»