[Elsdon 364 156 of 244]


Sheet 52 Plan 14 Parish of

< List of Names
as written on the Plan
Various modes of
Spelling the same Names
Authority for those modes of
Situation Descriptive Remarks, or other
General Observations
which may be considered of Interest
Elsdon Elsdon Rev. John Baillie MM 18 miles W. N. W. A neat and well built village consisting of
Elsdon Mr. Hindmarsh of Morpeth an old church and Castle, two Inns a [???]
Elsdon Whites Directory A few small farmers and shopkeepers and [???]
of private dwellings. There is one fair held here
on the 26th of August for live stock and two hirings
for Farm servants There is also a Court Leet held
here about Michaelmass the jurisdiction of which
extends into the Parish of Corsenside and Holystone
chapelry. The property in and about Elsdon belongs
to various parties. The fair green is the property of the
Duke of Northumberland
Rector’s School Rectors School Rev. John Baillie MA About 3 chains W of A neat stone building with Masters residence
Rectors School Mr. Davison Elsdon Church and garden attached erected in 1833 by public
Rectors School Name cut on stone in front subscription The Rector of Elsdon for the time being
is the patron who pays the Master 25 pounds
per annum who teaches the children and acts
as parish Clerk. The above sum can be stopped at the Rectors
pleasure it is consequently not an endowment It is not subject to
Government inspection nor under the control of the counsel of education
it is therefore, purely what its name implies, The Rectors School
Edw. Gillespie Royal Engineers

Abbreviations are underlined like this RE and the expansion may be seen by hovering the cursor over the abbreviation.

An entry outlined like this has a note which may be seen by hovering the cursor over it.

Transcribed by MEM

Return to Elsdon 364 index

«Previous page     Next page»